We work with Gynaecologists
Modern gynecology offers many innovative diagnostic tests and treatments in an office based setting. Here’s a short list of some of the more commonly performed ones:
- Endometrial biopsy – a test for uterine (endometrial) cancer
- Cervical biopsy – a test for cervical cancer
- Hysteroscopy – a test for abnormal uterine bleeding in which a lit telescope is placed in the uterus
- Sonohysterogram – another test for abnormal menstrual bleeding during which the uterus is filled with water while an ultrasound examination is performed.
- Essure – a tubal sterilization procedure that can be performed in an office-setting
- Endometrial ablation – a treatment for abnormal menstrual periods.
- Suction D and C – often done for an incomplete miscarriage
- Mirena or other IUD insertion
These procedures can be painful. Even though many procedures are offered in an office based setting, various studies show that procedures such as diagnostic hysteroscopy can be so painful for some women that 10% of them can’t even be satisfactorily completed. Other procedures – while completed – are often found to be barely tolerable.
In these cases, sedation allows you to complete the procedure with no pain or discomfort, while remaining conscious enough to respond to your gynaecologist. This is integral to the satisfactory completion of a procedure, so you get the results you need.